Monday, May 17, 2010

WHO KNOWS?

     Occasionally I wake up in the morning with a feeling of dread – a sense that something menacing awaits me in the coming hours, some bad news or signs of coming sorrow – and it is then that I ask the question: Who knows? Really – who knows what will happen in the next few hours, or in the next few minutes or seconds? The universe is a vast and baffling place, full of numberless events interweaving to make new events, and who can predict what events will float up to the surface today in that part of the universe called “my life”? At the dawn of each day, zillions of occurrences stand ready to come into existence, each of them as good and bad, as fearsome and wondrous, as waves in the sea. Who knows? Instead of the disasters I sometimes fear in the morning, I may find myself in the sudden sunshine of happiness at 7:00 am, and feel a wind of fine mental weather around 1:00. There’s no good sense in wondering or worrying. Waiting with a trusting expectation of miracles (which happen every moment) is the best way.